Friday, November 6, 2009

Perfectly Peanut Butter

Hello! It's mami here. Today I thought I'd share with you the recipe for one of Mia's most favorite snacks. Since we don't exactly have a PetSmart right around the corner here in Antigua, I was hard stretched to find good training treats for our little puppy girl. But then it came to me. If people can make their babies homemade natural baby food, why can't I do the same for my Mia? So I jumped right online and found a few good sites with dog treat recipes. A lot of the treats were quite complicated and since sometimes I'm not sure where I can find a light bulb in this town, let alone wheat germ, I stuck to what looked do-able and delicious. Our dog growing up, Riley Jaxx (rest in peace buddy), was mad about about peanut butter treats, so immediately I sought out a good peanut butter recipe that I'm happy to share with you.

Mia's Peanut Butter Poppers
1 cup creamy peanut butter (*we use Esmeralda All Natural found only here in Guatemala)
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 cups wheat flour (or white if you must)

Mix together the PB and milk. Add in the baking powder and flour little by little, until you have a dough like consistency. Now the original recipe suggests rolling out the dough and cutting out shapes with cookie cutters, but since we hoped to use these snacks for training treats I thought small little balls were a better bet (this part takes some time). Pop them in the oven at 375 on a non-stick baking sheet for about 10 minutes, rolling them around a few times to avoid burning. When they begin to look slightly browned, they're done. Cool and store. (We purchased some great little glass jars and now keep the poppers in every room of the house.)

(Note: I usually half the recipe - it makes a whole lot of poppers!)


Scrumptious! They're all natural and not too bad, if I do say so myself. Think Peanut Butter Captain Crunch without all the sugar. Mia goes nutso for them! A girl after her mother's own heart! So far we've been able to teach her to come, sit and fetch, all by using the poppers! Who knows what the future holds with these treats!

1 comment:

  1. I think Mia needs to learn how to "Dance" on her hind legs in honor of her late brother Riley Jax. He would be so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete