Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My 1st Real Adventure

We woke up bright and early Sunday morning to celebrate El Día de Los Difuntos (Day of the Deceased). It's a big deal holiday here in Guatemala and since I'm Chapina mami & papi wanted me to experience part of my culture. We loaded into the car, stopped by to pick up my friends Alan & Louise and we were on our way to Santiago Sacatepéquez where the big celebration of kites happens every year on November 1st.

This was my first real adventure with my adventure loving parents, so I really wanted to show them that I know how to behave like a big puppy girl. Boy oh boy did we have fun! We walked a lot, and when I couldn't walk anymore papi carried me. Finally we reached the big cemetery where many of the locals had decorated the tombs of their family members with pine needles, marigolds and chrysanthemums. It was really beautiful. Then a little later on the big kites got raised. Wowee, they were really colorful and pretty. There were bunches and bunches of people at the festival, but not very many doggies - just me, so I got lots of attentions. I liked it.

Mami & papi found a seat on the cemetery wall and watch all of the people assemble the big kites while I did a bit of exploring all by myself.

Mami took about 300 photos of the kites (& me).
(I look scared in this photo, but really I wasn't!)

I made friends with some nice boys.

After a while I took a nap while mami & papi ate tacos.

Then we went back to see the rest of the kites.

Here are my friends Alan & Louise with Papi.

It was the coolest day ever.

I'm pretty sure that I did a good job on this adventure. Mami & papi are already talking about where we'll go next. Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment