Monday, February 8, 2010

Lazy Bones

Nothin's gonna slow me down. Not even that silly old limp that came about a month ago in my front left leg. It doesn't seem to want to go away, so I'm playing hard ball. Guess who's in charge here, you silly old limp!

My mami and papi are the tops when it comes to taking care of me and my needs. As soon as the limp started they took me to see my doctor, Dr. Sican. He gave me some medicine for pain and told us to come back in a week. The next week, that silly old limp was still around, so we went back and this time Dr. Sican gave me more medicine, 2 different kinds that both taste really yummy {remember when I told you about it here}? He also told us to come back again in a week. So that's what we did. Finally during our last visit Dr. Sican and his helpers got serious. They said it was time for an x-ray. They made mami & papi wait out in the hallway, but I was very brave when they put my leg into a big machine. I didn't even cry. Afterwards came the bad news. Dr. Sican said he wasn't 100% sure, but it looks like I might have a bone disease that often happens in large breed pups who tend to grow real fast. It's called Panosteitis.

The experts aren't sure why it happens, except that it seems to be viral. Normally large breed dogs like labs, goldens, & german shephards get it and it's more common in males. It usually comes on between 5-12 months and lasts anywhere from 2 - 6 months. The good news is that most dogs outgrow it and lead normal lives, but the bad news is that there really isn't any treatment expect pain killers. So it looks like me and limpy better become fast friends. That is if I really do have Pano....Dr. Sican is currently consulting with one of his colleagues and is planning on getting back to mami & papi real soon.

So in the meantime, I'm resting when I need to, but still playing a lot, just not running so much. Mami and papi are giving me some special treatment too. They brush me and rub me lots and tickle me everynight. Sometimes thought after a hard play or a long walk I'm really pooped, so pamper me a bit more. I even get my meals served to me, wherever I lay!

Mami is more worried than papi about my silly old leg, but it's only because she loves me so much {and papi says she is a natural worry wart!}. She has done lots of research and is well informed, with a whole arsenal of questions and ideas for my doctor. She worries mostly that I will miss my puppyhood and then I won't know how to run in play when I'm older. She knows that there will be lots of grassy parks in Colorado where I can do fun stuff and she doesn't want me to miss out on it. That mami, she sure does love me!

Sometimes I'm a little sad too, but for the most part I'm still me. I don't like having to be lazy, but I'm willing to put up with it for now as long as it promises to go away. I really hope that this leg of mine is gonna be ok, so please say an extra prayer for me tonight and I'll be very appreciative.

I also want to give a weally weally big hug and thank you to Miss Caroline, mami's friend back in Colorado who mami says is the best dress vet tech around. She has been answering all of mami's questions and sharing advice on what mami & papi should ask the vet and other things to look out for. It turns out my doctor actually recommended that I take some pills that Miss Caroline {and her animal surgeon friend} said could really hurt me when I'm older. Mami is so thankful to Miss Caroline for caring so much about a little pup she has never even met {I suppose it helps that I'm awfully cute}. Mami says that Miss Caroline has a sweet little doggie named Bella that I'll be able to play with as soon as we get back to Colorado this summer. I can hardly wait! Thanks Miss C!

Well that's it for the drama in my life this week. Stay tuned for more updates on my silly old leg soon.

XOXO,
Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment