Saturday, October 31, 2009

Boo!

It's my first Halloween and I've already seen the wickedest witch in Guatemala. Unlucky for us, she's our neighbor. Mami says not to be scared of her, but this morning we were hanging the laundry on the line when she came through the door and gave me and mami a look that said "I'll get you and your little dog too!"

It's a long story, but here's what I know. A while ago before I even was born, the witch accused my mami of letting her dog doo in the mean lady's garden. In fact it was the first time she even ever talked to mami and it went something like this.

Witch: I think your dog *%$# in my garden.

Mami: We don't have a dog.

Witch: I cleaned it up, but *%$# was everywhere.

Mami: Sorry. We don't have a dog.


After that mami, wasn't feeling so friendly toward the wicked witch, but it worked out ok because she never comes outside of her house. She must be in there putting hexes on us and boiling her brew all day long.

Then lucky for mami & papi, one day the wicked witch left for a really long visit back to the USA - 2 months in fact. She found some people to rent her house, but they had a dog....and we're not allowed in the 3 houses that our landlord owns. Just a few days before they moved in, papi had emailed the landlord to see if he would allow papi to get mami a pet for their 5th anniversary, but he said no. However when Calli (that's the doggie) moved in, mami & papi were confused. If the wicked witch can do it, they can too! And along came Mia a month later.


The renters were nice, but not very considerate. They were from the US too. They never cleaned up Calli's doo and they made lots and lots of noise when they left for work at 5:00 in the morning. Plus Calli cried all the time when they left her alone. Mami & papi nicely talked to the people about the crying and soon they started to take Calli to work with them, but they was still lots of noise and doo.


About 3 weeks after I moved in with mami & papi, the renters left and the wicked witch came back. Last saturday afternoon (after our unsuccessful trip to the border) papi and I were outside doing our watering when mami came out to see us. The wicked witch was outside too, having someone work on her car and that is when the doo hit fan again. It went something like this - I heard it all.


Mami: Welcome back. How was your trip?
Witch: She's cute (pointing to me). I cleaned up her *%$# twice today.

Mami: We've been gone all day and just got back. When we left this morning, I double checked to make sure we got it all.

Witch: Well I cleaned it up this morning and again this afternoon.

Mami: (getting mad) We've really been trying hard to clean up after her.
Witch: It was right here.

Mami: (very angry) I'm sorry. We'll be sure to get it from now on, but just so you know we've cleaned up after your subletter's dog for the past 2 months.
Witch: What? You shouldn't have. They promised me they would.

Mami: (feeling spicy) Well they didn't and we got tired of seeing it and driving over it, so we picked it up.
Witch: You should have emailed me.
Mami: You didn't leave us your email address or we would have.

Witch: (hanging her head) I guess I owe you a few.

Mami: (in her head) And that's just the beginning you witch, you're so ungrateful that you didn't even bother to ask us how things went with the renters.


It's true. My mami and papi have been really good about cleaning up after me. Sometimes at night my papi even uses his headlamp to make sure he can find where I left my deposit. And they hardly even get mad at me when I have accidents in the house. I love them very much.
Oh and later mami and papi realized that visitors were staying in the other house (the one the Swedish woman lives in) and they're pretty sure there was a dog too. Ha! Take that. My doo doesn't stink!

The craziest part of the whole thing according to mami is that the witch is a yoga teacher. I only know a little yoga, like Down Dog, but I'm pretty sure most yogis are relaxed and peaceful. Papi says it's to be expected - most of the foreigners living here in Antigua seem to be running from something.


But in the end I've got the biggest surprise for that witch........



This pup is a vampire in disguise! Watch out Witchy!

No comments:

Post a Comment